Wednesday 23 May 2012

Post-op pooch

Following my suspicions that Rinny wasn't her usual poochy self, last Friday I booked an appointment with the vet to check our little dog over and make sure she was ok. The appointment was at 6.50pm. By 7.20pm she had been admitted for iv fluids, a scan of her abdomen and a possible emergency spaying. Anyone who has a dog that they love as a member of their family will know how I felt when I left her there that evening.

Transpires she had a pyometra which is an infection of the reproductive system. Hers was the closed type (apparently a lot worse than the open kind as her uterus could rupture and have all sorts of horrible complications and can even be fatal). The vet phoned at 10.30pm to say the operation had been successful and then again the next day to tell us she was recovering well and could come home. We picked her up at 5.30pm on Saturday. She was obviously feeling uncomfortable, but was remarkably happy considering her  terrible ordeal. I've never been so pleased to see her!


The whole thing was over so quickly that I haven't really thought about it until now. I'm so incredibly glad I booked the appointment and that it was in time. She shivers because Isaac is quite loud and she doesn't like much it, but she was doing it even when he'd gone to bed and also when he was at nursery. Her breathing was also laboured. Google told me these things can mean a dog is in pain. Her abdomen was also rock hard while she shivering and she was getting though about 3 bowls of water a day which is unlike her. I feel so guilty that I didn't spot it earlier, but I can't change anything and she's better now.

The night she wasn't here was horribly and eerily quiet, we even had some space on the sofa! She's such a huge part of our lives and I'm eternally grateful to the veterinarians and veterinary nurses who looked after her while she was in there care. I'm also rather pleased I have insurance for her as £803 isn't really something I can budget around! She's completely worth it though, the happiness she brings us and the things we've been through in the five and a half years since I've been her pack leader. She's my furry baby and I love her to pieces.

She does like to sleep though. A lot! In-fact she sleeps more than any other dog I know, see exhibit A:


She does a lot of other stuff too, like woofing and playing and sniffing and running and chasing and guarding and licking and stretching and sofa hogging. I wouldn't have her any other way though. She's ace and the furry heart of our little family. I'm very glad to have her home, wombless or otherwise.


2 comments:

  1. Glad she's well again :) It's so horrible when pets are ill...Fletch sends her a big (no strings attached) kiss X

    :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No strings attached LOL...think Fletchy needs some lady lovin' ;-)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...