Monday 18 June 2012

Thirty plus one and a few t-shirts to boot

Last Thursday I turned thirty one years of age folks. It may come as a surprise to hear that last year I turned thirty on the exact same day! If you were there with me on that night you too will bear the mental scars and I trust you to keep the secrets! I've written about turning thirty, what was going on then and this isn't about that. This is about how amazing this year has been!

What brought this to my attention? Other than the fact that it's going on around me? Gig t-shirts. I kid you not. Gig shirts hold a special place in my wardrobe heart wardrobe...heart...ah well, you get it. I have to really like a band to buy a shirt and considering my average gig attendance of the past 5 years or so has been between one and two per year, for me to go to SEVEN gigs between June 2011 and June 2012 is astonishing! (By the time June ends the figure will be nine, but who's counting?)


Upon reflection of this collection I notice that this year has had me see bands that I absolutely love and all of the gigs have been excellent, with the exception of one. I'm sad to say that Funeral For a Friend aren't a band I shall see live again. The singer's voice is strained and they seem to be under the misguided delusion that they are more metal/punk than they actually are. Inciting a circle pit at your own gig is lame. That said I still hold the music dear.

All of the others, though, were immense. The best of the year? Impossible to tell. Capdown for sheer transporting-me-back-ten-years factor and for not having lost an ounce of energy, Rise Against for being the first gig I went to with Matty since we got together (and it was bloody amazing), Nada Surf because it's Nada Surf who NEVER tour the UK, Orbital because those guys are back on form, Gaslight because it was their only UK show in forever and everyone there wanted to be there very much and Coheed? Coheed was all the way across the pond in Gainesville FL!

I like to get a shirt from shows I go to for a few reasons. Nostalgia - whenever I put it on I'm reminded of the event, how I felt, who I was with, what we did, where it was and all the other stuff that happens at gigs. I've bought and lost/donated to charity many, many gig shirts/sweaters. I regret getting rid of each and every one I no longer possess. All the memories of the fun times spent with friends and making new friends. And the dancing! Ah, the dancing! And the drinking, but mostly the dancing! I also like getting gig shirts because the chances are they'll be specific to the tour and you are unlikely to find them in stores or on merch sites. 

So anway, this post is more for me than for anyone else. I want to remember what a fantastic year 2012 has been so far and how far removed it is from 2011, how much can change if you really want it to, how much better life can be and gig shirts are how I choose to remember. It's for me to be able to look back at and smile when I think of all the fun times I've had, what has been accomplished and how much I have to look forward to right now.

Seriously. I might burst.

:-)

19 comments:

  1. Great post - this made me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was The Darkness not in the last 12 months? and more importantly did we not buy any merch??? they were AWESOME too, i'm off to rummage through me draws to see if i bought anything.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, yes they were. A point well made! I clearly did not buy a shirt that night which is why I completely forgot to include it. Good job I keep ticket stubs too XD

      Delete
  3. Thank you for taking the time to publish this information very useful! Women's Christian T-Shirts

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any way I’ll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon. steampunk mugs

    ReplyDelete
  5. It’s very informative and you are obviously very knowledgeable in this area. You have opened my eyes to varying views on this topic with interesting and solid content. go now

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is very educational content and written well for a change. It's nice to see that some people still understand how to write a quality post!
    shirts manufacturer in Bangladesh

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you because you have been willing to share information with us. we will always appreciate all you have done here because I know you are very concerned with our. making shirts for cheap

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks for the tips and information..i really appreciate it.. 團體服製作

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for your insight for your fantastic posting. I’m glad I have taken the time to see this. plain white t shirt

    ReplyDelete
  10. You make such a large number of extraordinary focuses here that I read your article two or three times. Your perspectives are as per my own generally. This is extraordinary substance for your perusers. Kobe Bryant jersey

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes i am totally agreed with this article and i just want say that this article is very nice and very informative article.I will make sure to be reading your blog more. You made a good point but I can't help but wonder, what about the other side? !!!!!!Thanks funny t shirts

    ReplyDelete
  12. The origins of the contemporary golf shirt and polo shirt goes back to the late 1920's. Designed by a world-ranked tennis player, his tennis shirt soon became the shirt-style of choice among athletes whose sport was played outdoors. https://popsmokemerch.net/shirts/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you a bunch for sharing this with all of us you actually realize what you are talking about! Bookmarked. Please also seek advice from my site =). We could have a hyperlink change contract between us! 團體服製作

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was reading some of your content on this website and I conceive this internet site is really informative ! Keep on putting up. https://juicewrldmerch.net/black-color-with-white-text-red-art-juicewrld-merch-hoodie/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for your post, I look for such article along time, today i find it finally. this post give me lots of advise it is very useful for me. https://popsmokemerch.net/pop-smoke-vlone-city-hoodie/

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello, this weekend is good for me, since this time i am reading this enormous informative article here at my home. site

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...