Monday 18 June 2012

A crocheted peg/clothes pin bag

With a sad sigh I decommissioned my peg bag last week. It's served me well for the duration of it's tour, but it was no longer fit for purpose what with purpose being containing the pegs, not spewing them all over the floor for Isaac to then scarper off with! I made that one too, using some sort of vinyl fabric stuff which I shan't recommend for sewing because it's not ideal as it tears along the stitch line!! Anyhoo, that was three years ago and I've learned a lot since then. So. I needed a peg bag. I saw a few patterns online, but I'm essentially lazy and so decided to make a really reeeeeeeeally easy peasy one. Then I decided to write it down...

Crocheted peg bag/clothes pin bag


A few points before you read on. 
1. This is my first attempt at writing a pattern so please bear with me. 
2. I have quite a few pegs which it why it's so long.
3. Stripes are not compulsory and I haven't included them in the pattern.
4. Oh yes, I'm writing it in US crochet terminology because that's how I learned!


I used:
2 balls Rowan Hand Knit DK Cotton
4mm/G crochet hook
A wire coat hanger (I got plastic coated ones from Wilko's)
A circle of substantial cardboard (i.e.: not junk mail or cereal box, unless you layer it up)



Make a magic ring. If you have no idea what this is, see an instructional video here (although I only have two loops on my finger to begin with so I only pull the tail rather than faffing with pulling two loops).

Round 1: ch 3, (first stitch), 11 dc into ring, pull tight & join with ss into back loop of top ch of first ch 3 (12 st incl. ch 3)
Round 2: ch 3, (becomes last stitch of round) *2 dc into next dc* 11 times, dc into same st as ch 3 so that the ch 3 is your last st, join with a ss into back loop of top ch of ch 3 (24 st  incl. ch 3)
Round 3: ch 3, *2 dc into next dc, 1 dc into next dc* 11 times, 2 dc into dc before ch 3, join with a ss into back loop of top ch of ch 3 (36 st  incl. ch 3)
Round 4ch 3, *2 dc into next dc, 1 dc into next 2 dc* 11 times, 2 dc into next dc, 1 dc into next dc & ch 3 becomes last st of round, join with a ss into  back loop of top ch of ch 3 (48 st  incl. ch 3)
Round 5ch 3, *2 dc into next dc, 1 dc into next 3 dc* 11 times, 2 dc into next dc, 1 dc into next 2 dc  & ch 3 becomes last st of roundjoin with a ss into  back loop of top ch of ch 3 (60 st  incl. ch 3)
Round 6ch 3, *2 dc into next dc, 1 dc into next 4 dc* 11 times, 2 dc into next dc, 1 dc into next 3 dc  & ch 3 becomes last st of roundjoin with a ss into back loop of top ch of ch 3 (72 st  incl. ch 3)
Round 7: ch 3, working into the back of the st only - dc in next dc & each dc around, join wit a ss into top ch of ch 3 (72 st incl. ch 3)
Round 8 - 28: ch 3, dc in each dc around (72 st incl. ch 3)
The final round may require some jiggery pokery on your part to do it how you want. I started by making the hook bit and bending it at a right angle to my crocheted round. I wanted it to be at the back of the bag which made things easier! After that I bent it round as I went so the shape was even and the right size.
Round 29: ch 2, hold the wire so that it sits on top of the dc, push your hook through the dc as you would normally so it goes under both loops of the st and the wire, yo and pull loop through, put hook over the wire, yo and pull through pulling tight so that the wire sits snugly inside your sc and isn't flapping about, carry on sc-ing in this way around the wire into each st around.


To finish off I did what I usually do at the end of a project worked in the round which is this: cut yarn with a good and long ish tail, pull tail through stitch, thread yarn into a needle, insert needle (from the back) into sc before ch 2 from beginning of round, pull through and insert needle back into st where tail originates and weave in ends.

Bend wire around hook part to secure and complete circular top.

Measure the radius of your base and use a compass to draw a circle on the cardboard. Alternatively you can draw around the base, but I am a geek and like to do things proper like. Place in the bottom of the bag. It doesn't need securing in any way because, let's face it, cardboard is inanimate and isn't likely to attempt escape. The cardboard isn't entirely necessary, but it prevents unsightly mis-shaping when the pegs are in-situ! I was planning on laminating my circle, but really couldn't be bothered. You could always crochet two circles and sew them together with a cardboard inner and then crochet up if you were really bothered about it roaming free inside your bag?

You can bend the opening to any shape you like and can even bend it flat so it shuts when not in use!

Et voila! The easiest peg bag EVER.

If you find any errors please let me know! Also if you do make one then I'd love to see it!

1 comment:

  1. thanks for sharing the post with us. keep posting such nice informative articles. good job indeed. You can download pokemon go for pc from ifrone

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...