Wednesday 13 March 2013

Chop chop chop!


That's right, at three and a half I decided Isaac was old enough to start using knives (!) I use the corer/slicer to cut it into wedges and then he uses a small paring knife to cut the wedges into pieces.

Am I mad? I don't think so.

He's a sensible little chap and I trust him not to use them when I'm not in the room as he's proven trust worthy with scissors since he was very small. 

And we have rules: 

1) Always cut down 
2) Never wave knives around 
3) Never use a knife without a grown up

There have been a few heart-in-mouth moments where I thought he might lose a bit of finger and I've leapt in to correct the path of the knife, but that's why I'm there until his motor skills are more developed. 

He really loves to do things on his own and I love to help him. Trust and mutual respect is earned; how can he earn it if I don't let him?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...